Nikole

The Nearly Reader

My life in (mostly) books

The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro

— feeling angry
The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life - Laurie Notaro

This was my second book by Laurie Notaro and so I went into this book expecting to laugh. Laurie Notaro is a pro of taking the total embarrassment of the ineptitude of being a complete spazz and making it funny and "almost" normal. A fellow spazz, I grabbed this title up in hopes of getting some much needed validation.

For the most part, Laurie did not disappoint. I found myself laughing quite a bit, which is always a plus. Sure, reading story after story about drunk spazziness did get a little old, but it was an old that was still pretty funny and I still laughed...even if I was rolling my eyes at the same time.

But then Laurie went there...

And by going there, she used a certain word in a certain context that really bothers me.

And then she did it again, and again. She used the "R" word. At least three times she used the word. And each time I saw it I flinched and found myself with steam coming out of my ears.

After that, the book was kind of ruined for me. I had been enjoying having a book that was making me laugh but after spying the R word, my enjoyment was done. I debated whether to stop reading it, but as I was three quarters of the way through...it decided to finish it and see if there was any redemption. There wasn't.

I'm debating whether I'm going read more books by Laurie Notaro. I'm going to lean towards no, unless there is a truly compelling reason to read another one of her books.