Nikole

My life in (mostly) books

Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg

— feeling smile
Durable Goods - Elizabeth Berg

From Goodreads: On the hot Texas army base she calls home, Katie spends the lazy days of her summer waiting: waiting to grow up; waiting for Dickie Mack to fall in love with her; waiting for her breasts to blossom; waiting for the beatings to stop. Since their mother died, Katie and her older sister, Diane, have struggled to understand their increasingly distant, often violent father. While Diane escapes into the arms of her boyfriend, Katie hides in her room or escapes to her best friend’s house—until Katie’s admiration for her strong-willed sister leads her on an adventure that transforms her life.

Written with an unerring ability to capture the sadness of growth, the pain of change, the nearly visible vibrations that connect people, this beautiful novel by the bestselling author ofOpen House reminds us how wonderful—and wounding—a deeper understanding of life can be.

Durable Goods was a quick read, I began on Monday right before I headed into work and finished it Tuesday night.

Despite the brevity of this title, it was extremely easy to jump into the story and get into Katie's head and even though she was only 12 years old and just beginning to become a woman...I definitely was able to put myself in Katie and see and feel her world.

I felt a little disappointed that Durable Goods was just a little too short (even though a lot did happen in the 200 some odd pages) but as I was preparing to add this into my book list on Good Reads I realized that it had a sequel...and upon further investigation (and a damn good memory for books) I remembered that I had picked up Joy School several months back at a Library book sale so as soon as I finish up with the two library books I need to read in the next few weeks I'll once again visit Katie Nash and check up on how she is doing.

I'm already excited, especially as the synopsis sounds intriguing.